The first thing you need is a script. But not just any script. It has to be one
that readers can't put down, and also one they can visualize on the big
screen. So before you shop your script, you need to be sure it is really
1. Does the story work?
2. Do your characters stand out and each have a distinct voice?
3. Do they grow in the course of the story?
4. Is the script formatted correctly?
5. Is it the right number of pages?
6. Has an Industry professional read it? (Producer, Scriptwriter
or Script Consultant. (Not friends or family).
7. Have you made all necessary changes?
8. Has it been proof read?
9. Are all rights to the project secured?
10. Has the script been registered with The Writers Guild of
America or the US Copyright office. (Links)
Once you have a kick ass script, you need to put together a business plan
that will excite the financiers enough to make them open their checkbooks.
You need to convince them that:
1. There is a market for your film.
2. You have researched the genre and potential theatrical
grosses, and have comparable figures to show cost versus
3. You have a distribution strategy in mind.
4. You have a plan on how to market your film.
5. You know where you want to film the movie. You have
checked out various locations and found one that offers
tax or rebate incentives, has local crews, and hotels that
are willing to cut
you a deal.
6. You have a well strategized financial plan.
7. You know how much capital is needed for development.
8. You have a breakdown and detailed shooting schedule.
9. You have an itemized budget that shows exactly how much
capital is needed complete the movie.
10. You have a cash flow chart to illustrate funding intervals.
11. You have talent attached with letters of intent.
Once you have all the above elements in place, your package will fall into place. A
green light is just down the road.
Independent Film Consultants is here to help you every step along the way. Our
motion picture and television specialists have over thirty years experience in the
industry. From script development through film delivery, we have the talent to bring
your dream to reality.
Copyright © 2016 Nick Abdo. All rights reserved.